Classified Center Stage - WHEN DID RECONDO BECOME A PILOT?

  CLASSIFIED CENTER STAGE

- RECONDO -


BACKGROUND...

    Daniel M. LeClaire, aka Recondo, joined the G.I. Joe Team in 1984 as their Jungle Trooper.  Honing his skills at the Jungle Warfare Training Center, being an expert in this environment was perfect for him.  He much preferred the hot and humid surroundings of the jungle over anywhere cold.  He actually enjoys it as he tromps through the thick green foliage, carrying all his gear, and sweating in the heat.

    In 1988, Recondo signed on with the sub-team, Tiger Force, led by Duke.  Apparently, he had also acquired helicopter training while in the Army and this would now come into play for the Joes.  He was assigned to be the pilot of a reoutfitted Dragonfly helicopter, now called the Tiger Fly.  Recondo is in command the group's aerial recon unit.

    Recondo is a great asset to the G.I Joe Team!  He works as great in the air as he does on the ground in the heart of the jungle.  

When Did Recondo Become A Pilot?

    I got the original Tiger Force Recondo with the Tiger Fly helicopter way back in 1988.  While both were cool, I thought Recondo being the pilot was just awkward.  It felt very forced!  As if they didn't have access to Wild Bill anymore and just grabbed another guy in a hat.  His original file card doesn't give any hints at all to him having the ability to fly a helicopter.  Yet his Tiger Force file card claims he had been doing it since he was 17!?!?!

    The figure looked great though and among ALL the Tiger Force asst. I had, Recondo was my favorite!  Since the figure still came with all his Jungle Trooper accessories, I pretty much kept him in that role.  

    When the Tiger Force version of Recondo was released as a Classified figure in 2022, it was definitely one I wanted.  As usual, I had trouble finding the figure at retail.  Thankfully, my sweet wife found him and bought the figure for me when we were out on a small trip for my birthday!  

    Of course... this figure is awesome!  He is now the Tiger Force Jungle Trooper I always thought he should be and he goes nicely with my Tiger Force Outback.  Great, accurate colors and sculpt, as well as proper accessories for his job!  The rifle, the removable hat, the cool machete!  All awesome!!!  This figure is on par with the greatness of the original!

    My only gripe is regarding a slight "gumminess" to the accessories.  My rifle tends to bend a little to one side.  Note to Hasbro, no one wants accessories that can bend that easily!  Give us something solid!

    One final tidbit that I like is that they at least gave a subtle nod to the Tiger Fly helicopter.  If you look on the side of his package, in the artwork, is the vehicle he originally came with.  Obviously, a Tiger Fly with Recondo would probably not sell as well as the Haslab Dragonfly with Wild Bill.  So for me, getting the figure on his own is a perfect scenario!






Comments

Popular Posts