One & Done - BANZAI

 "To get in touch with my inner self, I always practice nunchakus with my eyes closed." - Banzai, 1993.

RISING SUN NINJA - BANZAI

    In the 1990's, Hasbro was looking to compete with the popular Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle toyline.  They created Ninja Force - their very own bright-colored squad of martial arts experts!  The first wave was released in 1992, with a follow-up wave appearing in 1993.  Both assortments were filled with a combination of some fresh and some familiar characters.  Banzai was a new face in the crowd among the 1993 group.  

    Banzai was the team's Rising Sun Ninja.  His file card explains that he was born in Hartsdale, NY, but spent a lot of time training in the mountains of Tibet.  There he studied from an unnamed ninja master living in seclusion.  It was there that he perfected his signature move - the "Suzushi Slam".  Now as a member of G.I. Joe's Ninja Force, he is viewed as one of the best nunchaku masters in the world.  He is blood brothers with his Ninja Force teammate - Bushido, and he is considered the more aggressive of the two.

    Banzai's color scheme is mainly black and pink (or maybe fuchsia).  He wears black pants with what appears to be pink paint splotches on them.  It looks as if he was painting something and got the paint on his legs.  He doesn't wear a shirt, but has a thin bandolier carrying different gear such as a pair of nunchakus, smoke grenades, and a sai on it.  His face is covered by pink "Rising Sun" face mask.  On the back of his head you can see his blonde, rooted hair ponytail.

    For accessories he comes with the standard 90's weapons tree of recycled gear.  He has 2 swords, a butterfly knife, 2 dueling knives, a sickle, an axe, and a figure stand.  Everything was molded in pink.

    As all Ninja Force figures had their "secret ninja move", for Banzai, you could twist him back at the waist and when released he would swing back with a punching type motion.  This is the "Suzushi Slam".

    Wow... where do you start with this guy?  Let's start with the things right before our very eyes.  #1 - He's pink...  okay, odd for a ninja.  What else though?  #2 - Spring-action moves?  No thank you, I don't need it.  To me it's just limited articulation.  #3 - Weapons tree?  Ugh... remember how Storm Shadow version 1 had those fantastic accessories?  More creative gear could have helped this guy.  Think of a backpack he could store his sword in.  Or if he was a nunchaku master... WHY NOT SOME NUNCHUKAS???  

    On that note... why is Banzai a nunchakus master when we just got a figure the previous year literally named NUNCHUK (that actually HAD nunchukas)?  That was just a weird move on Hasbro's part.  Someone wasn't paying attention!

    Okay... deeper stuff.  How confusing was this guy's file card?  For instance, what is a Rising Sun Ninja?  Sounds cool but I don't know what it is.  Japan is the "Land of the Rising Sun", so I would assume it means he is a Japanese ninja.  But he's from New York, yet trained in Tibet near China, yet he is a Japanese ninja???  How did this all come to be?  I'm sure there is an explanation, but if there is, it is nowhere to be found.  Perhaps he is a ninja that operates when the sun rises, as opposed to night?

    So if I'm understanding correctly - what we have here is a pink Japanese ninja from New York, who is a nunchakus master with no nunchakus joining a team that already has a nunchaku ninja...?  Well that's really just strange...

    You want to know the weirdest part?  I REALLY LIKE THIS FIGURE!!!  I don't know why, I don't get it, but to me the look works somehow.  I think the mask with the blonde rooted hair ponytail is cool.  I think the "paint splattered" pants are cool.  I even think the title "Rising Sun Ninja" sounds interesting!  Yeah, the file card is a little confusing, but I really dig the figure.

    I'm probably going to shock a few people when I give this guy a rating of 4 out of 5 Replays of Aerosmith's Song - "Pink"!!!  You know what?  Ditch the weapons tree, give him some real gear and I'd hit him with a 5!  He's one of my favorite of Ninja Force.  I thought the figure looked cool the minute I saw him on the pegs in the store.  

    So what do YOU think of Banzai?  Do you like him too?  Think he's too much of a mess?  Is Pink not your favorite color as it is Steven Tyler's?  Who is your favorite member of Ninja Force?  Let me know your thoughts on this figure in the comments below!


What else can you say about this Banzai???

---  If anyone knows what a "Rising Sun Ninja" really is, please let me know...

---  That bandolier of gear he wears looks cool, but it also looks uncomfortable.  And what is up with the "baby" nunchakus?  Not sure how effective of a weapon that will be!

---  Banzai only got one figure in the line and it was clear he wouldn't be showing up again anytime soon.  He couldn't return in the 1994 Shadow Ninjas sub-group because he didn't have much of a uniform to "go invisible" with.  He also wasn't slated to return with the cancelled 1995 Ninja Commandos.  HOWEVER!  If he was to make an appearance with G.I. Joe Classified - I would likely pick him up!  Come Hasbro, make it happen!



Comments

Popular Posts