One & Done - MACE

"I always have the last laugh on Cobra criminals, right after I lock them up." - Mace, 1993


UNDERCOVER OPERATIVE - MACE

    The year, 1993, brought a tidal wave of G.I. Joe action figures to the toy shelves.  New sub-groups were added, but there were also sub-groups that were canceled.  With many of the figures already complete, Hasbro made the call to just add these misfits to the standard Battle Corps line.  The character of Mace was originally planned to be a member of the D.E.F. (Drug Elimination Force).

    Mace served as an Undercover Operative for the G.I. Joe Team.  As a member of D.E.F. Mace originally would have been going undercover and reporting on the Drug Kingpin - the Headman.  With his Battle Corps file card though, he’s after “Cobra criminals”.  His file card says that he has spent many years infiltrating crime syndicates and reporting information back to the Joes.  He is in danger every day he is undercover, but he believes no risk is too great in the war on crime.

    Mace wears a long sleeve black jacket, with black gloves. He has light gray pants and black shoes.  On Mace’s chest he has yellow highlights including his pistol and communicator.  His hair color is a beige-type color… almost gray.  This gives him an older (not old) look than most Joes.


    Accessories…?  As it looks, Mace wasn’t planned to have the unique spring-loaded, light-up gadgets that the original D.E.F. figures had.  Instead, he came with a spring-loaded missile launcher, a helmet, and a 90’s style weapons tree.  The weapons, though recast from previous figures, are fine.  Unfortunately, they are cast in yellow. The missile launcher is where things get really bizarre.  It attaches to the helmet on the side of his head???  Yes, the side of his head?!?!?  This is so weird, I can’t believe this concept was actually approved by someone.

    It’s unfortunate the D.E.F. was cut.  I feel Mace would have truly been home with this team.  As it is though, Mace fits in the normal Joe line pretty well.  I can see them needing this area covered as they work to thwart Cobra’s evil plans.

Several years ago, one of my boys took this shot of Mace!  He has a Star Wars gun, but I think this was a cool pic of him!!

    MY thoughts are…If the D.E.F. had continued, I think it would have been an interesting idea to give Mace a look that is in-line to that of Gristle or other characters under the employ of the Headman.  Give him a “bad guy” look, whatever that takes.  On the file card you could reveal that he is really a Joe deep undercover.  I think that would be a cool twist.  You could even put “Evil Headhunters” on the package.

    I have no idea how I got Mace.  I think someone just gave it to me, but loose with no weapons, but I can’t remember.  Back in 1993, I had no immediate plans on picking up Mace or Muskrat since I didn’t like the head-mounted missile launchers.  Somehow though, I have the figure and I like it.  I feel like he has a cool, Law Enforcement-type look to him, but nothing too fancy.  The weapons are way off-track though, and I don’t care for them.  So I’m okay with not having them, the figure stands up fine on his own.  In fact, I can just give him a pistol from another figure and life is good.

    So rating Mace… I would give the figure overall, a 3 out of 5 Neck Strengthening Exercise Videos which he is going to need to hold that missile launcher.  The figure might have gotten a 4, but those crazy accessories brought him down a notch.

    This was the only figure Mace ever got... and that makes sense as he was a castaway from D.E.F. as well as the fact that the toy-line's cancellation was right around the corner.

    What are your thoughts on Mace?  Did you put him with DEF or your regular Joes?  Did you think the missile launcher was awesome or what?  Let me know in the comments below!


More thoughts on Mace...

--- I was going to hold off on this write-up till I got Mace’s weapons, yet I didn’t really want them.  Then, when I watched Timmer’s review on Half The Battle, he said “don’t worry about the weapons”.  So I said “ok” and skipped ‘em.

--- The launcher is labeled on the file card as a “Missile firing Stealth gun with built-in silencer”.  That is probably one of the stupidest names for a weapon I have ever heard.

Mace was part of my Joe HQ diorama, almost being taken out by Night Creeper Leader!


Comments

Popular Posts