SCC Figure Spotlight - PAYLOAD (Version 3, 4 and 5)

"Space is the place to smash Destro in the face!"


ASTRO-PILOT - PAYLOAD  (Version 3)

    The original Payload figure was released in 1987 and came with the massive Defiant Space Shuttle and Gantry vehicle and playset.  In 1989, he was repainted and re-released with the Crusader Shuttle.  I'll cut to the chase here... I have never owned the Defiant or Crusader and neither has any of my friends.  So Payload (v3), released in 1993, was MY Payload.  To this day, I still don't think I have seen either of the first two.

    Towards the end of the G.I. Joe toy-line, Hasbro was splintering many of the characters in various sub-groups to cover different territories and objectives.  The team, Star Brigade, was formed to combat Cobra forces (and aliens???) in space.  Obviously, Payload was probably the first pick for this new sub-group... but there were some slight changes in store for him.

    First of all, he was single carded for the first time... no space shuttle in any shape or form.  Second, Payload was now using the figure mold from Eco-Warriors Barbecue instead of the original one.

    Payload's file card explains that as he was growing up in Cape Canaveral, FL., he would watch the shuttle and rocket launches and imagine himself riding along and heading off into space.  He worked hard to make that dream a reality and joined the Air Force when he was 18.  His path eventually brought him to Astronaut Training and then to the G.I. Joe Team.  He then joined Star Brigade to battle Cobra in the dangerous void of outer space.

    The figure for Payload (v3) has a black "deep space battle suit".  He has a dark green helmet and other various dark green and silver highlights.  His helmet was non-removable, but you could see his face sculpt through the front "glass" piece.  Strangely, Payload had no backpack or air system.  It was to be understood that this technology was built into the suit somehow.

    Payload came with several accessories.  All but one were attached to a "weapons tree" and molded in a neon pink color.  He came with a pistol, 2 rifles, a knife, 2 missiles and a figure stand.  He also had a spring-loaded missile launcher, his "Quasar Gun", which was gold.

    So let's rewind to the mystery of the mold of the figure...  The initial packaging used it on the front artwork and the cross-cell picture on the back.  So why doesn't Payload using another figure mold?  Here's what I know...

    I thought I saw the original mold Payload on the shelves, but a bit later when I went to buy it, all I could find was this "Barbecue" one.  So I found a address in some magazine to Hasbro or something and wrote them a letter and asked "where did Payload go and why do we have this Barbecue figure?"  Eventually, someone actually responded to me.  I believe they told me the original mold was "missing" and it is highly unlikely I saw one at retail.  He added, that if I DID in fact see one and I found it again... let him know.  He wanted to see it too.

    Weird... can't believe I actually took the time to write them and that someone actually wrote back.  I should still have that letter around here somewhere... If I ever find it, I'll have to add it onto this Payload write-up.

    Looking at this figure overall...  The weapons-tree is always a bit of a drag.  The recycled weapons with crazy colors are just awkward.  I also think a backpack could have enhanced the figure a bit.  Yet, I actually really like this figure!  A lot of it has to do with the colors... With the original Barbecue figure, he had a real ketchup and mustard thing going, but I thought the black and dark green for Payload went very well together.  He looks "spacey" enough even though it's not the original astronaut figure.  Also, without a big bulky space helmet like other Star Brigade figures, he was more articulated and posable.

    Anyways... so where some sub-groups disappeared after one year, Hasbro had plans to keep rolling with the Star Brigade line.  It returned in 1994 with some changes.  While the first Series figures were all repaints... now they were mixing things up a bit.  They used new molds, repaints, returning characters and brand new characters.  Payload also returned with this group... twice.

ASTRO-PILOT - PAYLOAD  (version 4, white)

    The Series 2 Payload figure had the same uniform, but this time it was recolored white with a blue helmet and some red highlights.  He retained the same weapons assortment, only now cast in a grey plastic... which was an improvement!  

    There were cardback changes as well.  The generic artwork had been replaced with individual character artwork.  Payload's obviously now depicted his correct, new uniform.  On the back, the large file card was now a condensed baseball card sized one.  This file card change was disappointing for all figures in the 1994 wave that got this treatment.

    I thought the white version of the figure was even better than the black and green!  I bought the figure, but didn't open it as I had the Version 3 already opened.  But the next thing I know, he got ANOTHER update...

ASTRO-PILOT - PAYLOAD  (ver. 5, black/blue)

    Somewhere in the 1994 Series, Payload's colors were changed to black with blue highlights!  Oddly enough, I thought this was the coolest paint scheme of all three!  Everything with the accessories and the card back remained the same.  The card art didn't even change his white to black.

    So now we had three different colored figures for Payload in the Star Brigade line.  I again, bought this figure, but didn't open it either.

    So how would I rate Payload (Version 3, 4 and 5)?  I liked all three a lot!  My favorite among them would be the black and blue version!  Yeah, he is a repaint... again and again.  Yeah, he has a weapons-tree.  Yeah, he needs a backpack.  But compared to other figures in the group like Countdown or Astro-Viper with their big helmets... this Payload could turn his head and had a more sleek look to him!  The figure colors were all great and the grey guns were an improvement over those pink ones.  

    Maybe I'm crazy, but all three of these Payloads are going to receive a rating of 4 out of 5 Moon Rocks!!!  I just like this figure!  He even made my Top 10 of Weird Figures I Actually Like!

    So what are your thoughts on this figure?  You prefer the original?  The 3 repaints are overkill?  You loved/hated Star Brigade?  Leave a comment below...


    Here is some additional pics of Payload in his Version 1 and 2 uniforms...

This is a Web Print of Payload (v1) from Chris Hemsworth's GIJOE365 project.  Check his awesome work at www.GIJOE365.com.



Payload (v2) from the 1991 Impel card series.



Crusader Shuttle / Payload (v2) box artwork.


Comments

Popular Posts