One & Done - MONKEYWRENCH

"You can call me Monkeywrench!  Me hobbies are heavy metal, un-provoked mayhem, and explosions... LOUD explosions!" - Monkeywrench, Arise, Serpentor, Arise, 1986.

DREADNOK - MONKEYWRENCH

    The year 1986 was the single biggest year for the Dreadnoks - the biker gang led by Cobra Mercenary, Zartan.  The first 3 figures (Buzzer, Ripper and Torch) had been released the year prior.  Now they had brought in Zartan's siblings, new Dreadnok members and they added a total of 6 vehicles (counting Sears exclusives).  One of their new recruits was a guy with a love of loud noises and explosions -Monkeywrench!

    Each Dreadnok had their own preferred brand of destruction.    For Monkeywrench, his thing was explosives.  His file card explains that he was born on Guy Fawkes Day - a British holiday commemorating a failed assassination attempt.  The day is celebrated with fireworks and bonfires.  It is a coincidence that the guy with a love of explosions and loud noises was born on such a day!  He has a history with using explosives as well as building them for other organizations.  His travels eventually brought him to Australia, where he met and joined the Dreadnoks.

    Monkeywrench wears a reddish-brown vest with a bandolier carrying 5 grenades.  He has blue jeans with some patches on them and some scarves tied around his calves.  On his right leg he has a silver pistol and black holster.  He has a brown beard and hair and wears silver sunglasses.  Monkeywrench only came with one accessory - a large trident, harpoon gun.

Drive it like you stole it, he said...

    For me, Monkeywrench was my second Dreadnok.  Clearly Hasbro was planning to continue to add to the Dreadnok forces over the years.  Well, I wasn't going to start and end with Buzzer.  After foolishly locking myself in a deal where I would not buy Ripper or Torch, I finally caved and bought Monkeywrench.  Now I had 2 Dreadnoks.

    When I met my good friend, Deathwish, G.I. Joe was in this 5th Series.  When I mentioned some of the kids in my friend group had picked and claimed a Dreadnok as our own - he immediately chose Monkeywrench.  Thus, with us being best friends and these being the only Dreadnoks I had at the time - in my eyes the two were always a team.

    So I really like the Monkeywrench figure!  It was cool that they were expanding the Dreadnoks and I thought he fit in perfectly with the existing group!  Monkeywrench had the tough, biker gang look.  Other members of the group, like  Zandar, did not.  

    Many have questioned why Monkeywrench has a harpoon gun... what does he do with this?  What does he need this for?  In my mind, since Monkeywrench is an explosives guy, he needs something to cause typical "Dreadnok destruction" with.  All the Dreadnoks carry unorthodox weapons.  So I don't view the harpoon gun as something he actually uses as it is meant to be used.  Instead, it's something he uses when the Dreadnoks are out doing what they do - breaking things.  So he might use it as a giant can-opener or something - maybe use it to puncture oil barrels or tires or jab into car seats.  That's how I see it.  Not something he actually fires...

"Just the good ol boys..."

    Like the other Dreadnoks (minus Road Pig), Monkeywrench did not get an updated version.  This is a bummer, but considering the direction SOME 90's figures took - maybe this is a good thing... (I'm looking at you Muskrat (v3) and Leatherneck (v3)!)

    I don't feel there is much that could improve this figure.  It would have been cool if he had a backpack to carry his explosives.  Maybe nothing as fancy as Firefly... something like a beat-up bookbag-like thing with equipment stuffed in it.  It wasn't a deal-breaker though, I like the figure just fine as it is... and on that note, I'm slapping our guy Monkeywrench with a nice rating of 5 Out of 5... Monkeywrenches!?!?!

    So that's what I think... What are your thoughts on Monkeywrench?  Did you feel he fit in with the rest of the gang?  Any thoughts on the harpoon gun?  Let me know in the comments below...

Still Going On About Monkeywrench...

--- Strangely, his addition to the gang was told differently in the media.  In the cartoons, Cobra was gearing up for the "Serpentor Project".  So to prepare, Zartan began to recruit new members.  In the comics, he was caught with Zanzibar stealing gasoline from Zartan's Filling Station and joined right up!

--- YouTube G.I. Joe Reviewer - HCC788 pointed out an interesting fact about this figure.  The Dreadnoks are supposed to be ugly.  Look at Buzzer and Ripper's mugs... they aren't winning any Beauty Contests anytime soon...  Monkeywrench is actually a pretty decent-looking fellow.  Weird... but true!

Comments

Popular Posts