One & Done - BACKSTOP

PERSUADER DRIVER - BACKSTOP

    A new tank, called the Persuader, was introduced to the G.I. Joe toy-line in 1987.  This tank differed from previous ones as it had a slim body compared to a standard tank and it traveled on 10 wheels rather than treads.  It looked fast, almost sports car-ish.  The driver of this new vehicle was Backstop!

    Backstop had an interesting history!  According to his file card, he was quite a violent athlete as he was growing up.  He participated in multiple sports including - hockey, boxing, wrestling and even demolition derby driving, but for some reason or another, his extreme, rough-approach forced him out.  Eventually, he found his way into the army and the G.I. Joe Team where he found his "true calling".  I believe he is also the only Joe born in Canada!

    The figure for Backstop had a multi-colored uniform.  Across his shoulders he wears a kind of grey armor, with a sheathed knife on the chest.  He has a dark green shirt and some red gloves that cover most of his forearms.  He has an off-white belt with some details like a canteen and pouch.  The belt is connected to some straps running down his legs to pistol holsters on each side.  He then has yellow pants and red and black boots.

    Backstop came with two accessories.  He came with a silver revolver and a grey helmet.  The helmet has some sculpted detail giving it an armored look which goes with his shoulder armor.  It has an odd elongated chin guard.  I have heard that this was meant to be similar to a football helmet.  Strangely, football is not one of his mentioned sports.

    Back in 1987, I never got the Persuader or Backstop.  Nothing about either really spoke to me, so I passed on picking them up.  None of my friends bought it either.  Eventually, 20 years later, as my Aunt was moving and cleaning out her house - she found and gave me the Persuader.  Apparently it had been my cousin's, who no longer had any interest in it.  

"Take that Motor-Viper!!!"

    Looking over the tank, it was actually pretty cool and it was nice to add to my collection.  Unfortunately, Backstop was long gone.  However, several years later, my good buddy - Deathwish, hooks me up with one.  So after a loooooong time, the Persuader is finally matched with his proper driver!

    The figure for Backstop is pretty good.  What I like the most is the sculpting and details - they are fantastic!  I really like the helmet and armor on his shoulders...  They kind of go with his tank driver specialty.  Between his armor, the double pistols holstered on his leg and his agressive nature noted on his file card - it gives the feeling that if you face Backstop outside of his tank, you are STILL going to have some real trouble. The pistol accessory is fine, he doesn't need it, but I don't mind it.

    It's the color choices that are a bit odd.  The colors make this a very busy figure!  I think they should have taken a more simple route and went with grey, green and black.  They can ditch the yellow and red.

    For Backstop's rating, he falls in the middle with 3 out of 5 hockey pucks!!  He is a good figure, the slight color changes could really have elevated it!  Still, I am glad he is finally in my collection.

    What do you think of Backstop (and/or the Persuader)?  Did you pick them up in 1987?  Leave a comment below about how they fit into your battles or memories you have of them.  

Yeah, I don't have the tanks smaller cannon...


Comments

Popular Posts