Snoova's Diorama Gallery: THE BRIDGE

    Around 2004, I built a G.I. Joe diorama that I simply called "The Bridge".  Basically, the idea is that Cobra has one of those bases that they built into a mountain-side, like many a Joe cartoon would depict.  So the diorama was simply a cavern-type setting with the top Joe ninjas trying to rescue their friend while being pursued by various Cobra agents.  A bridge spanned the rescue scene where the heroes are trapped in the middle as the villains approach from both sides!

    It's been quite awhile, so I don't totally recall how my ideas came together on this one.  I do remember that I wanted an Indiana Jones feel to it.  I think that concept came together pretty good for one of the first dioramas I ever built.  Most of it is built from wood and paper mache.  For the tunnel entrances, I beat up and painted some balsa wood for the support beams.  I put them in slightly uneven so they looked worn out and as if they were giving in a little.

    I know I was also trying to utilize figures from the same bracket of years.  So Snake Eyes (v3) and Storm Shadow (v2) are the Joe rescue team.  Stalker is the captured Joe and I chose him because: 1) I wanted someone of personal importance to the rescuers , 2) Stalker was in that era of figures, and 3) I was missing several of Stalker's accessories, so he wouldn't need them.

    The platform that Stalker is held prisoner on was obviously inspired by the one Scarlett is captive on in G.I. Joe Issue #21.  You can see a shark fin in the water.  I am not sure if the sharks have "laser beams attached to their heads or not."  That said, maybe this scene has more of an Austin Powers feel than Indiana Jones...?  Huh... I don't know... weird...?  

    
    The Cobra enemies are storming in from both sides.  On one side, you have Night-Viper and Frag-Viper.  On the other, you have two Night Creepers on the attack.  

    So Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow are caught in the middle... but anyone that knows these two, knows that they are not so easily defeated!  Also, once Stalker joins the battle, the three heroes can really make Cobra's life rough!  You can play out the battle from there with your imagination!

    Unfortunately, I don't recall what happened to this diorama.  When we moved several years ago, I sold some of my dioramas and a few were dismantled.  But I always liked this one.  There are a few changes I might make -maybe smaller as a whole with the bridge being slightly shorter to bring the action in a little tighter and give the walls a little more texture.  But overall, I was happy with it.  I just wish I took more pictures than I did!!! 

Comments

Popular Posts