One & Done - RECOIL

L.R.R.P. (Long Range Recon Patrol) - Recoil

    The figure for the G.I. Joe character, Recoil, was released in 1989 as part of Series 8.  He serves as the Joe Team's L.R.R.P. (Long Range Recon Patrol).  His job was to sneak behind enemy lines, gather information and then sneak out.  Though he is well-armed, it is said that a true "Lurp" should not need to use his weapons.  

    Recoil's file card explains why he is the perfect person to be a "Lurp".  First, he is in great physical shape as he was previously a bodybuilder and marathon runner.  Strength and endurance is an asset as he has a lot of equipment to haul in and out on his missions.  He is also good at his job as he practices "sneaking up on people" constantly.

    The figure for Recoil was outfitted with a light brown or tan uniform with a digital dark green camo pattern on it.  His belts, straps, grenades and helmet are all in the same dark green.  His helmet is non-removable and is quite different than the standard Joe helmets that come down over the ears.  This helmet, to me, looks more like a bicycle helmet.

    For accessories, Recoil came with two guns, a backpack and a mine case.  The back pack was dark green and since Recoil has a secondary specialty as an RTO (Radio Telephone Operator), it has an antennae sticking out the top.  The mine case was light green and had a handle as it was carried by hand.  His rifle looks kind of like an M-16 with a grenade launcher underneath and a bayonet on top.  His other gun was a bit out of the ordinary...  it was a like a double pistol...?  It looked like two pistols fused together at the handle.  Both weapons were colored in light blue.

    This was a great figure!  The year 1989 is when I started to check out of G.I Joe.  At this point, my figures were not seeing anymore battles and I was then considering myself a collector.  So I was only picking up what I really liked.  Recoil was one of those figures.

    He had a cool look with the digital camo, his file card portrayed him as being fast and sneaky and he had great accessories.  I never minded the baby blue color to his weapons.  I don't know why.  I guess it could have been worse and at least the backpack and mine case had normal colors.  

    As for the double-pistol weapon... I liked it!!!  To me, that was just another selling point for Recoil.  I grew up liking all those 80's sci-fi movies and that gun reminded me of an exaggerated version of the double laser pistols they had in the movie - The Black Hole. 

    This was the lone version of Recoil released in the original G.I. Joe line.  I personally would have liked to have seen another one.  I thought he would make a great Night Force figure.  Maybe he just didn't have the popularity to warrant a second figure.

    Whatever the case, I liked Recoil and I would give this figure a rating of 5 out of 5 bicycle helmets!  Oh yeah, I said it!  I would probably even rank him among my Top 10 Joe figures!  Do you remember that G.I. Joe comic from way back where Hawk and Grunt go undercover at that training facility and Snake Eyes is keeping an eye on them from afar?  He was sneaking, spying and taking notes.  That's kind of how I view Recoil... creeping around behind enemy lines and they have no idea he is there because the man is good at what he does.

    That's my take on the figure.  What did you think of Recoil?  Like him?  Hate the blue accessories or the double-pistol?

Comments

Popular Posts